Sunday, January 19, 2014

Molding Your Interests To Fit YOU!!!


Ahh the alluring seduction of spirits. Growing up no one around me really took part in alcohol. Pawpaw had a couple of friends who made their own wines and would bring as gifts. But, even now I can probably still look under the stove and find those bottles nestled away, just as he left them. Even though I wasn't really exposed to the lifestyle of drinking I was taught the benefits, the downfalls and the consequences of doing so and intrigued. Now before you get the wrong idea NO I do not go out partying and getting drunk! I've NEVER been drunk but I do see no problem in enjoying a drink or three every once in a while lol.

One thing though that I have ALWAYS found beautiful was wine. All aspects the beginning, the creation, the aging process. Just every little part that takes that special little bunch of grapes and transforms them into something that MILLIONS love and cherish but think nothing of the processes that bring them their little bottle of joy, that to me, is AMAZING! Even though I don't have a taste for wine myself, I do partake in the beauty and occasionally give it another try ;) who knows I may grow to love it!

I've bought little wine and vino style decor before but none of it seemed to fit ME! All the stereotypical wine items and the whole "I'm a wino!" "I love wine OH I MUST BE ITALIAN" it just doesn't appeal to me! It's sickening to watch people grasp on to something they THINK is THE way to be! WHY?! Why not take part of something that draws you in and teach it how to mesh in YOUR world! Don't mold yourself around what TV or what your friends tell you is right! 

My family has always been a farming family. We always have a corn field, and a watermelon and cantaloupe patch along with the regular garden of various veggies. Over the years the equipment wears and tears and pieces get left laying around. After Pawpaw passed away I found this rake head laying out by his shop and I knew I HAD to have it!!!


Rustic Wine Rack
Materials:
- The Head of a Rake
- Paint / Clear Coat
- Ribbon
 

I chose to keep the natural worn beauty Nanny and Pawpaw left it with and seal it DIRT AND ALL!!! Now if you're doing this project you can always buy a new rake head or sand and reshape your used one BUT the sentimental aspects of mine are too great to let go!

I placed three brinks to balance the rake on and began with prongs pointing up, coated that side carefully not to drop it in the grass. Spray the other side and let it dry COMPLETELY!!! I let it sit a couple of hours just to be sure!

Now to add a cute little ribbon to hide that ugly little nail and WE'RE done!
However the below picture was taken the day I finished this project and I stupidly hung it where a cabinet door would open and SMASH it fell. Those pretty little thrift store glasses are no more! BUT...

I DID find a permanent and SAFER home for my little heriloom!




No comments:

Post a Comment